Nemasys – Organic Pest Control
Nematode species have now been identified that naturally control other common garden pests as well as slugs, and these are available from online suppliers under the Nemasys brand name.
All nematode pest control products are environmentally friendly, and harmless to humans and other wildlife. They’re non-toxic, even if the dead or infected creatures are eaten by other animals, and perfectly safe to use with food crops.
Complete Nemasys range
- Slug Killer – Slugs are probably the gardener’s worst nightmare. Nemaslug targets them below ground where 95% of the slug population are living.
- No Ants – More ‘nuisance’ than ‘destructive’, although the red variety can give a nasty sting. Unlike other nematodes that seek out and kill the pest, this ant treatment works by driving the ant colony away. Handy for unsightly lawn ant infestations.
- Caterpillar Killer – Targets among others, the infamous Cabbage White caterpillar that decimates leaf crops, and the Codling Moth caterpillar that ruins fruit such as apples and pears by munching away at the core.
- Chafer Grub Killer – Chafer Beetle larvae cause damage by nibbling on plant roots, particularly grass. This causes yellow patches on the lawn with poor areas of growth. Birds and other animals feeding on your lawn is a sign that you could have a Chafer Grub problem.
- Leather-jacket Killer – Crane Fly (daddy long-legs) larvae. These also take up residence in the lawn, causing similar root damage to Chafer Grubs. (see above)
- Vine Weevil Killer – Vine weevil larvae often infest pots and containers, doing immense damage to plant roots. The problem isn’t apparent until the plant wilts and dies, so this treatment is an excellent preventative measure. (see below)
- Grow Your Own – A mix of different nematodes that together tackle the common pests that plague the fruit and vegetable gardener. No need to exactly identify which pest you have; ‘Grow Your Own’ has it covered. (see below)
One product I’m particularly interested in is the Nemasys Vine Weevil Killer – Steinernema kraussei – which works in exactly the same way as the slug infesting nematodes.
Vine weevils are a growing menace in pots and containers. While the adults may nibble a few unsightly holes in plant leaves, it’s the tiny white larvae that do the damage, and all the destruction happens out of sight below ground. They munch away on plant roots, and the first you know about it is when your plant starts to wither and wilt; at which point too much root damage has occurred to save it.
Because the presence of vine weevils is so hard to detect until it’s too late, the best plan is to take a proactive stance by applying Nemasys Vine Weevil Killer at an early stage in the season.
Grow Your Own
Another interesting product from the Nemasys range is Nemasys Grow Your Own. This special mix of different nematodes takes care of a broad range of common pests that plague the fruit and vegetable grower; pests such as:
- Cabbage Root Fly
- Carrot Root Fly
- Codling Moth
- Gooseberry Sawfly
- Leather-jackets (crane fly, or daddy long-legs larvae)
- Onion Fly
- Sciarid Fly (fungus gnats)
Nematode hosepipe feeder
While a watering can is probably easiest and most accurate for treating a small area, a hosepipe feeder is ideal for larger gardens.
Manufactured by Miracle-Gro, this feeder is the one recommended for the hosepipe application of nematode products.
- Three spay patterns.
- Uses standard Hozelock fitting (supplied).
- Suitable for foliar sprays and soluble feeds too, but wash thoroughly between different applications.
What do you want to do now
Organic Slug Killer
The perfect choice for the ecological gardener who hates using chemicals and poisons in the garden.
Up to two months slug protection from a single application.
Harmless to birds, animals, and children. Safe to use on food crops. Dead slugs are non-toxic to other creatures.
Only 5% of the slug population is above ground at any one time. The other 95% is underground digesting your seedlings, laying eggs, and feeding on roots and seed sprouts
Superior products for the serious gardener
Everything you need to sow, grow, harvest, as well as cook your produce.